December 23, 2008

New beginnings--tributes

I am ending this year and starting the new year with random tributes to the various people in my life who, I believe, are making a positive contribution in my life. I am doing this because I don't want to save it for their funeral. I am not writing in order of importance, just as my mind latches onto something. I will try to do one a day, but there are no guarantees. Such is the life of a random thinker. Deal with it and remember my dear husband has to deal with it on a daily basis.

For my first tribute, I would like to thank Kathy Overtoom, my step-mother-in-law, for giving me a new "inner voice". This afternoon, as I was looking at the decorated green blobs on the cookie sheet that should have been crisply baked and crisply outlined spritz Christmas trees, I had two "tracks" playing in my head: one saying "you doofus, can't you count how much flour you put in?" and the other, Kathy's track, which says "Oh well!" I chose her track and added my own variation, "They will probably taste fine anyway and most people who will receive them will know what they are supposed to be anyway because they get these cookies from us every year."

In the past, I would have been very upset, berating myself, and getting ready to make another batch of "perfect" spritz Christmas trees to give to friends, keeping the other 150 or so cookies for my family to eat. But because of this new "inner voice", I can still enjoy the holiday and move on to making star spritz cookies.

Thank you, Kathy! And Merry Christmas!

With much love,
Kris

No comments: